Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Siege of Fort Erie 2013, Part the second

With new evidence being brought forward new photos coming to light, I thought I'd share a little more of the photos and stories:

Trees are good for supporting tired reenactors. The ground works as well.

In the evening battle on Saturday, the combined 17th+ awaits the onslaught.
From the right, the known people: First Sergeant Ed, Corporal Jared, Rob, Kevin

(no comment... really, none at all... nothing to see here... return to your lives, citizens.)

Jared at the front gate of Fort Erie. (the next few photos - courtesy of Brandi)

Jared approaches the interior gate.

The Northwest redoubt from the sally port

Up goes the magazine!

Colonel Rob and Major Marty confer. Strategy? Tactics? Logistics? Lunch menu? We'll never know.
Continue reading for the great story with Marty.

The fifers from both sides play a lament for the dead on this field. Since we reenact on the real battlefield,
it is only right to remember the sacrifices made by the fighers on both sides  here.

After Sunday morning's battle, the US forces pause to honour the dead during the lament. My baldness gleams from the back row of the troops just beyond the cannon. The two cannon are a real interesting thing. On the left is the 6# gun of the 2nd US Artillery from Fort Meigs, OH and on the right is the 4# gun of the reenacted Michigan Legionary Corps. This, my friends, is a lot of firepower and noise. It's just so cool when they fire one after the other. I still can't imagine what a Napoleonic Grand Battery might have sounded like, but I have a rough idea.

The US artllery crews
The 5/60th Regiment of Foot - the Royal Americans. One battalion was sent to North America during this war and it served to garrison the state of Maine when the state surrendered. One wonders if the rifle companies would have been of more use elsewhere.
The Crown forces - never, ever sloppy at drill, always in overwhelming numbers in Canada...
and almost always late getting to the field.
I don't know. I don't want to know. If you have questions, refer to the statements above.
The 1st US Rifles face down the lights of a regiment of Foot and the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles on the far left.
We camped next to the US Rifles and they were fine folk all weekend long. I was please to meet them. One even reads this blog! How about them apples? 
Corporal Jim of the 19th US Regulars is out of action. Sam of the Fort staff is busy coordinating stuff.
Make ready! Take aim! Fire!
C'mon, admit it! It's photos like this that keep you reading this thing!

The explosions were provided by a pyrotechnics contractor who safely exploded charges covered with peat moss, which makes the blast more spectacular.
--  The SECRET WEAPON --
From Muppet Labs, without a doubt.
Okay, the "Secret Weapon"... I bought along this little keychain blaster as a joke. On Saturday evening, while standing on the 6-pounder redoubt with Andy, the Fort Meigs gun crew, Sergeant Major and a few others, I pulled this thing out of my pocket and jokingly showed Major Marty. He responded "Gimme that thing!", stepped up to the rampart, and fired a few blasts. (The little toy makes a "Pwew! Pwew!" sound with every squeeze of the trigger.) He turned to us and said "You can all go back to camp; I've got this!" He then ran down to the lower rampart to show Sam from the Fort staff the thing. We all watched and roared with laughter when Sam covered his face as Marty showed him the blaster. Marty returned and said "Sam says I'm not trained or experienced with this weapon and I should return it to it's owner." This is the sort of thing that makes reenacting fun... besides the celebration of history and the fun of dressing in period uniforms and performing proper drill, on and off the battle field.

Again, I borrowed most of the photos used here. If there are objections, let me know and I'll make it right.

4 comments:

  1. "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!"

      Delete
  2. Sorry I did not make it up! I am glad you did get to meet some of my fellow US Riflemen. The event looked like it was great fun with fine weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was just fine and actually a bit cold at night, at least in the tent. Hope to see you next time.

      Delete